March 2014 was another great month of shopping for this girl! And no, that $571 budget is NOT an April Fool’s joke. Thanks to a lot of closet purging, I was able to pump up my budget by more than $200! The discovery of a couple women’s resale boutiques near me has pretty much changed my life…well, the part of my life that involves shopping anyway.
In March, I got A LOT of tops, shoes, and accessories. So for April I might try to find more dresses and bottoms. But I already have my eye on a couple more pairs of heels…what can I say, I’m on a roll. I’m also on a roll with getting some good deals; below I’ll show you not just what I spent, but what I would have spent on all this stuff at full price. I was lucky to have a couple of gift cards burning a hole in my wallet, plus I took advantage of several store promotions.
Without further ado, here’s the breakdown for March’s budget…
- +$212 ($150 starting amount + $62 unspent in February)
- +$135 (blog income)
- +$224 (sold old clothes…a lot of them!)
What I Spent
- -$63 on a colorblock bag, statement necklace, and d’orsay flats from Target (total retail $78, minus 20% promo)
- -$45 on designer aviator sunglasses from Nordstrom Rack (not pictured) (~$150 retail, Rack price $65, minus $20 gift card)
- -$100 on teardrop earrings, statement necklace, nautical tee, and embellished sweatshirt from J. Crew Factory (total orig. $183, minus special promo and $25 gift card)
- -$59 on a striped tee and jeweled clutch from Loft (total orig. $83, minus promo)
- -$85 on t-strap heels and black & gold wedges from Shoemint (total orig. $138, one pair on sale plus another promo)
- -$52 on blush suede pumps from Sole Society (orig. $69)
- -$54 on a pale blue sweater, mint blouse, peter pan collar blouse, and retro sunglasses from Loft (total orig. $186!! Everything was 40% off, plus I got 15% for opening a Loft card, and had 2 $25 off cards from my purchase earlier in the month!)
- -$67 on red d’orsay pumps from Zappos (retail $69)
- -$25 on silver pumps from Asos ($47 minus 10% student discount, minus money on a gift card I forgot I had left!)
= $550 (total retail value…drumroll please… $1,003!)
What I Received (gifted item)
- Norah Pendant courtesy of Stella & Dot
There you have it…another successful budget month is complete! I can’t wait to check out how the rest of the Budgeting Bloggers did!
19 thoughts on “Budgeting Bloggers: March”
Well done you!!
Wow, I’m in awe!! That’s pretty amazing how much you saved overall. That’s the best.
Also, I’d love to see some tips on closet purging — you seem to be good at it (and selling back your clothes), and let’s just say I’m not.
I’ve been thinking of doing a post on that topic! Sometime soon hopefully…
Amazing deals here – really love that pale blue sweater from LOFT!
I want all the things! Seriously.
I had a stroke of genius last week when I decided to try selling some clothes to the Plato’s on the east side (Normally I try the Fisher’s location and never seem to have much luck…see where I’m going here?); it was the best idea because I made $140!
Awesome! I gave up on Plato’s Closet. I think all my clothes are too old for them. But then I discovered Simply Chic…there’s one on 96th in Fishers and one on west 86th. They buy/sell clothes for actual adult women, and they pay well too!
I think this is my last run with Plato’s, as I think (hope) I just did my last purge of clothes that are far too young for me (it was a pretty drastic purge). I’ve sold to Simply Chic once before but apparently need to try again!
what a great month, i think you got some awesome pieces! i love the bag & necklace 🙂
I LOVE all the shoes! Great picks.
Have you had more luck with local resale stores vs. places like Plato’s Closet or Buffalo Exchange? I have a HUGE pile of things ready to go and I can’t decide where to take them! Maybe April will be my month. Seeing how much you were able to add to your regular monthly budget is really inspiring me to get it done!
Also I am going to steal all those shoes you got. Every pair. I love them all.
YAY for finding a good place to sell stuff! When I lived in Indy, I made quite a bit of money at The Toggery in Broad Ripple. There aren’t as many options in my current city.
you kicked some serious butt this month! Also – how much did you sell for $224? I’ve sold stuff but only made about $60 so far!
Dang girl!! You shopped like a champ in March!! Come help me!
Love the nautical tee! So wish we had a J.Crew in Germany! Question, how are you making money with your blog? I have looked a bit into it, but I am not super comp savvy. Any tips? Thanks! Keep it up!
Mostly I make my blog income from affiliate links. I recommend Shopsense – but I don’t know if it’s just for the US or not. But in March my income actually came from a couple sponsored posts. Those I just got from agencies contacting me because they needed bloggers in the Indianapolis area.
I’ve been eying those shoes on Asos as well! I should just bite the bullet and order them. How do they fit since there are no half sizes?
I ordered them at the end of the month and since they ship from overseas, I haven’t gotten them yet! Hopefully soon. I’ll try to remember to report back once I try them on 🙂
I love the J. Crew leaf statement necklace and the Loft clutch. I stopped by Loft today (one of my faves!) and those clutches were 50%! I couldn’t decide on which one to get b/c they also have a dotted and chevron version too, but my eye is on it. Great selection!